Sallie Mae Now Offers Free College Planning Mobile App
Depending on your financial situation upon leaving college, Sallie Mae is either a name that you’re vaguely familiar with or one that leaves a pit in your stomach when you see their caller ID pop up on your phone. Either way, they understand that planning (and paying) for college is something that everyone could use some help with. Available for both iPhone and Android users, the College Ahead app helps students, as well as families, plan for college with tips on saving money, avoiding the senior slump, and even applying to the right college.
Martha Holler, Senior Vice President at Sallie Mae explains the inspiration behind creating this mobile app:
Parents and students have told us they want step-by-step instructions when it comes to preparing for college, and it’s critical for families to develop a game plan as they begin this process. We created the mobile app to provide an interactive environment that makes the college-preparation process fun and helps students make informed decisions about college. All kinds of important information students need to get ready for college is now in one place and right at their fingertips.”
The best part about this app is that it is interactive, allowing each user to update their information, track their achievements, and ask any questions that they may have by following a clearly laid out road map. It’s also worth mentioning that you can skip around on the road map to areas that are more interesting or useful to you because much like life, the road to college is rarely navigated without any mishaps or turn arounds.
Even though the app is mainly targeted towards high school juniors and seniors, resources available under the “Tools” section, such as the FAFSA RoadMap and College Cost Estimator, are useful to anyone needing help to navigate the tricky ins and outs of student loans.
Here is a quick run down on the features available on the College Ahead app:
- College Cost Estimator: Estimates cost of a college degree based on school choice, type of degree and other expenses.
- Trophy Case: Allows students to track all of their achievements to include on college applications.
- College Scorecard: Lets students compare colleges to decide which school is the best choice for them.
- College Planning Calendar: Keeps track of important college milestones, such as application due dates and financial aid deadlines.
- FAFSA Roadmap: Provides tips to help simplify the FAFSA process.
- Exam Prep Checklist: Ensures students have everything they need for the SAT/ACT exams.
If you feel like you need even more resources to help you on your path, Sallie Mae offers many other tools to prepare for college, all of which are available on their website.