We’ve all done it. You quickly set your phone down somewhere in public, then walk away from it without thinking. You go back later only to find it no longer there. Or perhaps for a few unlucky people, your phone is deliberately taken. The anxiety that comes along with the realization that your social lifeline is missing can be overwhelming. Thankfully Apple introduced Find My iPhone as a solution to this growing problem. But, how do you go about setting up and using the service? We’re here to make it simple and seamless in a few steps.
First, if you don’t have Find my iPhone set up on your device, you’ll need to do that. Here is how:
1. On your device, go to Settings, then iCloud. If you are prompted to enter your Apple ID, do so now. If you do not have an Apple ID, you can create one by tapping on Get A Free Apple ID, then follow the instructions:
2. Once you have entered your Apple ID, simply go to Find My iPhone and tap the oval to enable the feature. You will then be asked to confirm this decision. Press OK.
3. When the oval is green, Find My iPhone is enabled.
Now that Find My iPhone is enabled on your device, you will be able access if from any other iOS device including, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. You can also access this from your laptop.
1. First, you must log onto www.icloud.com/#find in your web browser. There is also an iOS app that you can download to do this. You will again be asked to sign into iCloud using your Apple ID from above:
2. Once logged in, go to Find My iPhone. It will immediately begin trying to pinpoint your device’s location. If the device is offline, it will find its last known location on the map:
3. If you believe that your phone is near you, you will also have the option to play a sound that will alert you to your device’s location:
4. If you have still not found your iPhone on the map or by using the alert, you can choose Lost Mode, which will allow you to lock your device remotely by entering a passcode (even if you did not previously had one):
5. If you believe that your device is lost for good, you can choose to erase all personal information from it:
Hopefully, you will never have to use this advice. But, if you do, here it is laid out in a few simple steps.